Update on 11/1/2018: This offer has now been extended through December 31, 2018.
Through October 31, 2018, the Cathay Pacific Visa Signature® card has a limited-time offer for a 40,000 mile bonus after $2,000 in spending in the first 90 days. The previous “usual” sign-up bonus offer was 35,000 miles after $1,500 in spending. In the past we’ve seen the public offer for a comparable single-tiered bonus as high as 50,000 miles after $2,500 in spending. (In April 2018 there was also a two-tiered sign-up bonus for 35K miles after $2.5K of spend in 90 days plus another 25K bonus miles after another $7.5K of spend in the first 12 months.)
Here are the current offer’s highlights:
- Earn 40,000 bonus Asia Miles after spending $2,000 or more in the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Earn 2 Asia Miles per $1 spent on eligible Cathay Pacific travel and in-flight purchases.
- Earn 1.5 Asia Miles per $1 spent on dining in the US or abroad.
- Earn 1.5 Asia Miles per $1 spent on purchases outside of the US.
- Earn 1 Asia Mile per $1 spent on all other purchases made in the US.
- No foreign transaction fees.
Some important considerations:
- The card’s $95 annual fee is not waived the first year.
- Asia Miles expire after 3 years and you have to pay a fee if you want to extend the life of your earned miles.
This offer is a modest increase of 5K bonus miles over the previous 35K-mile offer, which has stayed consistent since November 2017 (apart from the two-tiered 60K offer in April 2018). The last time they had a single-tiered, limited-time offer over the standard offer was around this time last year, so, with our limited history on this card, which goes back to just March of 2017, it seems they may be on a schedule of offering an increased bonus in the fall. If you have a good use for Asia Miles on Cathay Pacific or their oneworld partner airlines in the next 11 months or so, it may make sense to seize this opportunity, especially if you can’t find better offers in our tool for finding cards with good sign-up bonuses. But if you don’t have a near-term need for the miles, it would make sense to wait for a better offer.
You may also want to peruse the award charts for Cathay and oneworld partner redemptions to get a more specific idea of the value you’ll get from the 42,000+ Asia Miles you’ll earn from this offer.